Code of Conduct
Fostering a Sense of Community
A positive learning environment is created by all members of the school community treating each other with “Respect, Cooperation, and Courtesy”. Students are to be treated with respect and dignity. In return, they must demonstrate respect for themselves, for others and for the responsibilities of citizenship through acceptable behaviour.
Respect and responsibility are demonstrated when a student:
• comes to school; attends all classes on time, prepared to work, and ready to learn;
• refrains from bringing anything to school that may compromise the safety of others;
• follows the established rules and takes responsibility for his or her own actions and shows respect for themselves and for others.
All school members must:
• demonstrate honesty and integrity and respect the rights of others;
• be respectful of others with regards to comments and refrain from using offensive language;
• respect and treat others fairly, with dignity and respect, regardless of their race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability;
• show proper care and regard for school property and the property of others;
• respect persons who are in a position of authority;
• respect the need of others to work in an environment of learning & teaching;
• behave in a manner which will bring credit to the school when participating on field trips or excursions to other schools or institutions for academic or sports activities.
Respect for Authority
• Students are expected to comply with the rules of the school and the requests made by all members of the staff, teachers, educational assistants, office staff, custodians, cafeteria staff and bus drivers. Failure to comply with the rules of the school will be viewed as “opposition to authority” and will result in consequences ranging from counselling to suspension.
Respect for Self
• Students are expected to come to school free from the influence of alcohol or drugs. Their use on school property, during school excursions, at school dances or at school related activities is strictly forbidden. There is a suspension from school for the use of alcohol, drugs or other illegal substances.